Saturday, March 14, 2009

Manual Lymphatic Drainage after Liposuction

I operated on a friend a week ago. It was a straightforward abdominal liposuction (waterjet-plus of course!), removing over 3L of fat. She seemed to trap water quite significantly, so I was concerned that she would be swollen for quite a long time.
There was a small reduction in girth when I saw her 2 days after surgery, and the oozing had stopped. I was pretty happy about that. I was able to keep an eye on her as I was attending a course with her mid week.
The interesting thing about her recovery was her use of her therapist background to speed up the healing process. In particular, reducing the swelling and bruising. Her trick was to do post-natal wraps, use dead sea mud and do manual lymphatic drainage. And it worked! One week post surgery, her reduction is significant! I have to admit that I'm very impressed. I don't think any old lymphatic massage will make such a significant difference. This girl is truly the best Therapist I have had the pleasure of being massaged by. She has magic hands combined with a deep thirst for knowledge, deep passion for spa therapy.
I'm really looking forward to the day when I can combine medical with effective spa treatments such as these to really deliver the best results. In other words, watch this space!

No comments: