Monday, February 11, 2008

Extreme Makeover Part One

The opportunity finally arose for me to have my eyelids revised. I had a badly done stitch blepharoplasty by one of the local Plastic Surgeons a few years ago. The recovery was long & difficult & I could not trust any any of the local surgeons to improve the appearance. Most are terrified of repercussions from the original surgeon...

So I took the opportunity of my holiday to Manila to make it a Beauty Holiday. Medical tourism is interesting. Especially trying to board an aeroplane with a swollen face! The original plan was for my friend Claudine Roura to revise my eyelids and VASER my arms (since Dr Ueberreiter refused to do Water Lipo on me last November). However, having seen the true potential of Waterjet Plus during my trip to Korea last month, I decided that I should really have WAL instead. And the Manila doctors are all obsessed about my nose for some reason! The doctors from Ospital Ng Maynila were planning on making me a demo patient for the next MIFAS! But, that hospital is a bit scary, and I'm not too keen on being breathed on by 20 doctors! So I asked Claudine to do the necessary first and save me!!!

So last Saturday morning, the shopping was put on hold and I checked into the Las Pinas Doctor's Hospital instead. Over the next few hours, my eyes and nose were completely re-sculpted. Excess skin was removed from my upper eyelids to create a new, deep crease. The inner corners of my eyes were re-fashioned to open them more widely. A silicon graft was inserted to straighted the bridge of my nose. The sides of my nose were trimmed and sewn in to create triangular nostrils. The work of art was completed with steri-strips around my nose to support the graft during the first few days of the healing process. And off I returned to society.

The swelling has been impressive, but less dramatic than with previous eye procedures (meso eyebags is far worse!!!). And I'm back at work, scaring anyone who comes in to see me! Our old clients are bemused that I would subject myself to this at all. And I wonder sometimes, but I'm sure it's all worth it. Even through the swelling, the new form is starting to be visible, and it looks pretty awesome already.

And this is just part one. Part two is a mere week away. Finally, I get to have all the fat sucked out of me! I can't wait!

No comments: